Thursday, July 2, 2026

Catheter

 

My aunt hasn’t been feeling well since arriving in NC.

Being at the hospital with her has reminded me of my own time in the hospital a few years ago. 

 

After a major surgery,

I was gifted with a catheter. 

It was super uncomfortable.

I laid in pain for many hours, 

Thinking that that’s what a catheter must feel like, 

Until I finally asked my nurse if I could take a walk. 

I don’t remember his name, 

But my nurse was kind and gracious 

And when I returned to my hospital bed, 

The catheter didn’t feel as bad. 

It had gotten readjusted to fit like it was supposed to fit. 

 

I was told there might be some pain with the catheter, 

So I mistakingly took more pain than was normal and normalized it. 

It was only after the pain shifted that I realized that I had been unduly suffering. 

 

And I think this is how it is with life. 

Sometimes we suffer in silence because we don’t know there is another way. 

Sometimes we endure pain alone because we don’t know that we can ask for help. 

But we can. 

And there is often another way. 

Not that that way will be fancy and carefree.

But that way can be the way of community and of never walking alone.

 

So tell your story, friends. 

Speak of your pain. 

Share your journeys of joy and heartache, 

And help normalize your voice asking for help. 

 

No one should suffer in silence,

And no one should struggle alone. 

There is more to life than rugged individualism. 

And there is more to life than pain. 

 

Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment