Monday, July 13, 2026

Rehab Lamp

 

JG’s room at rehab is at least twice the size of the hospital room where she spent eight days; 

However, the lighting is such that it can’t be turned on or off by the one confined to bed. 

(We’re working on that confinement. 

Physical therapy will come five times a week to get JG back on her feet.)

 

When I arrived on Saturday night, JG was sitting in the dark, 

Her only light that of her phone. 

I quickly plugged in a mystery lamp that I had found in our attic, 

But the light wasn’t pleasant. 

It was bright, fluorescent, and not homey at all. 

 

Knowing that my sister, who travels with her own twinkly lights just in case she needs them, would be appalled at the ambiance of the room, 

I went to Dollar Gentrald last night to look for a bedside lamp. 

I found one. 

It was cute. 

I actually liked it and wasn’t just settling for it. 

So I bought it. 

 

I promptly took it to JG’s room, 

Where she was sitting in the dark again,

But this time with the off-putting light from the mystery lamp. 

 

I quickly unpacked the lamp,

Screwed in the light bulb,

And tried to uncurl the cord. 

It wouldn’t uncurl. 

It was zip tied to the shade. 

 

Being in rehab for less than three days, 

We hadn’t yet moved in the scissors, 

So I tried to find some scissors at the facility but had no luck. 

 

So I walked to my car, 

In the rain,

Carrying the deconstructed lamp, 

Only to realize I didn’t have my keys. 

 

So I walked back inside to get my keys

Returned to my car again, 

In the rain, 

And opened the pocket knife that I got for super cheap at an auction many years ago. 

 

Very carefully, I cut the zip tie off the Dollar Gentrald lamp, 

Walked back to JG’s room, 

Plugged it in,

Screwed in the light bulb and had light. 

 

But. 

I hadn’t put the shade on. 

 

So unscrewed the bulb, 

Put on the shade, 

Screwed back in the bulb, 

And finally, we had soft, welcoming light!

 

Friends:

Sometimes things are a lot harder than they should be! 

But through creativity, breath, patience however thin, perseverance, and determination,

Most things can be done,

Most trials can be overcome, 

And most lights can be shown. 

 

May you have that creativity, breath, patience, perseverance, and determination today. 

And may your light shine bright, 

Albeit a soft white brightness that creates proper ambiance, 

Because we don’t want fluorescent lights in our home. 

 

Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment