Thursday, July 23, 2026

Retired Shirt

 

 

I got it for my 17th birthday. 

The map of NC was so detailed that it included both Tabor City and Bunnlevel. 

I was proud to have come from both.

 

I wore the shirt a lot in my youth. 

Naturally, over time, 

The text faded,

Holes grew, and 

The collar frayed. 

 

For the past couple of years,

I’d relegated the shirt as my birthday shirt. 

It could only handle being worn and washed once a year. 

 

Last night, though,

After one last appearance,

On its 32nd birthday, 

I officially retired it. 

 

The Walmart special Native North Carolinian shirt lived a good life as a t-shirt. 

Now it’s time for it to serve as part of a quilt. 

 

Thank you to everyone who puts up with quirky me—

Who wished me a happy birthday—

Who reads these notes—

Who rides the waves of life with me. 

 

I count it a blessing to have friends older than my now retired birthday shirt, 

And friends from all the years in between.

Friendships take work. 

They take time and effort and forgiveness and letting go and coming back and closeness and distance and love and growth 

But it’s all worth it in the end. 

 

Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment