When we went to the merchandise table before the show,
They
were selling little boxes of tissues.
I
asked Jes the Doctor if she thought we needed to buy some tissues
But
she said no,
That
we would be OK.
At
intermission, she confessed that we should’ve bought the tissues! :-)
Jes
used her hand to wipe away her tears.
I
just let them stream down my face, onto my chest and my shirt,
And
I didn’t bother to even try wiping them away as they were flowing.
There
were a few moments when I felt like I couldn’t breathe,
My
chest was tight and I felt like I just needed to make some noise as Heidi the
Librarian says,
But
I couldn’t make any noise because I was in the middle of watching The Notebook
Musical.
I
could hear sniffles from all over the auditorium and I could hear Jes
struggling to pull herself together.
It’s
not uncommon for the tears to come with me,
But
it’s rare for Jes to cry.
She’s
a doctor.
She
sees a lot.
But
in this case, it was the seeing that hooked her in a powerful way.
If
you’ve never read the book or seen the movie or stage show,
The
Notebook is a love story that centers around a wife with Alzheimer’s.
The
husband, deeply devoted to his wife, reads their story to her from a notebook
every day in hopes that she will “come back.”
The
musical does a superb job portraying the confusion and heartbreak that one with
Alzheimer’s must feel.
Some
of the scenes are gutwrenchingly powerful.
Just
thinking about them now, and the challenges that people with Alzheimer’s and
their caretakers must face, makes me teary-eyed.
I’ve
been talking a lot about caretaking over the past couple of weeks since I’ve
been helping take care of my aunt who was visiting NC and got very sick.
I
have been thrown into a world of people who tend to suffer quietly,
Doing
what they can and must do to take care of those they love.
Short-term
disabilities, long-term disabilities, terminal illnesses, children with special
needs, people with dementia or Alzheimer’s, people struggling to overcome
addiction, people whose bodies are just getting old…
There
are so many levels of caretaking.
They
are all hard.
They
all present their own challenges.
But
it seems to me that people dealing with Alzheimer’s might just have it the
hardest,
Their
loved ones being stuck in their bodies and memories,
Not
knowing who they are or remembering their lives,
Oftentimes
showing an angry side to themselves that no one ever expected to see.
And
so we cry.
We
cry for those stuck in their bodies and we cry for those who so desperately
want to help them out.
We
cry for hurt and pain and exhaustion and shattered dreams and lost hopes
and heartbreak.
We
cry for patients and families and caregivers and workers who try to provide
dignity in life.
We
cry for those suffering in mental and emotional pain and we cry for those who
feel that they are alone.
We
cry for beautiful harmonies and memories and the fabric that weaves together
our lives.
And
we cry for ourselves, our insecurities, our helplessness, and our fears.
The
next time I go to a show that sells tissues as a souvenir,
I
will certainly be buying them!
And
I think that Jes the Doctor will, too,
Because
some stories are just too powerful not to cry.
Amen.
No comments:
Post a Comment