Thursday, July 9, 2026

Caretaking

 

I was on a call a couple of weeks ago when the presider asked a very complex question:

What are some areas where the church falls short? 

I don’t remember what the other call participants said, 

But I remember my answer: 

In taking care of caretakers. 

 

I have five friends (that I know of) who are full-time caregivers. 

One cares for her mom with MS in addition to working. 

One cares for her husband with declining health in addition to working. 

One cares for her mom with declining health in addition to working. 

One cares for her demented husband. 

One cares for her special needs grandson. 

All are very weary. 

All are very tired.

And there is no end in sight. 

 

We all know that our healthcare system is messed up. 

We all know that insurance is very difficult to work with. 

Long term or home health care is so expensive that many can’t afford it. 

And even if they can afford it, 

There is no guarantee that the care will be good 

Because workers are stretched so thin 

And experience such difficult things each day. 

 

After awhile, cleaning someone’s shit gets to you. 

 

Caretakers need more resources. 

Professional caretakers need more pay. 

All caretakers need more support:

more support groups,

counseling services,

outlets of creative expression, 

time off, 

encouragement, 

gratitude, and 

help cleaning shit. 

 

So yes. 

The church falls short in taking care of caretakers. 

The church, 

Society, 

The system,

All of it…

Falls short. 

 

We can do better. 

 

If you are a caretaker, 

You are doing a good job. 

Keep going.

You are not alone. 

 

And if you know of someone who is a caretaker,

Then check on them today. 

You may feel nervous. 

Or helpless. 

Or overwhelmed. 

Or under qualified. 

But all of us are. 

Just thrown into this. 

And figuring out how to build the plane as we’re flying it. 

 

Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment