I
went to visit my aunt in Florida last week.
For
years, I’d heard about her neighbors, Isabella and Matthew, but I’d never met
them until this trip.
A
few years ago, Matthew had a stroke.
He
lost his ability to speak.
He
understands perfectly.
He
moves perfectly.
He
is in good health.
His
voice is just stuck.
He
can’t get out his words.
He’s
such a kind man.
Such
a hospitable man.
He
smiled and engaged in conversation the whole time we were there.
He
pantomimed his thoughts.
He
joked with Isabella.
His
voice was just stuck.
He
couldn’t get out his words.
My
aunt said she’d like to reach inside and pull the words out of him.
I
agree.
I’d
like to reach inside and bust the dam and watch all of his words rush out and
overwhelm the room with sound.
But
alas.
The
stroke paralyzed his vocal cords.
They
can’t be fixed.
His
voice is just stuck.
He
can’t get his words out.
It
makes me sad.
But
it also makes me determined
To
use my voice for good
And
not to take it for granted.
I’ll
do it for Matthew.
Maybe
you can too.
Amen.
No comments:
Post a Comment