Here’s something you’d probably never guess about
me:
I used to love playing with cap guns.
I can remember building full barricades and
developing elaborate plans of attack on my enemies in a game of sport.
I had a few different cap guns, holsters, and two
types of ammunition.
My cap gun of choice was my little black and white
one.
I often wonder what happened to that little toy…
Although I’m glad I don’t have it anymore because I
want nothing to do with those weapons,
Real or pretend.
The sight scares me.
The sound scares me.
The impact scares me.
The power scares me.
So I’d rather steer clear,
Even in shows.
…
A ten year old handed me a water gun the other day.
I refused to shoot her in the face or anywhere near
her head.
Instead, I aimed over her body all together so that
the water simply rained on her.
There was no violent noise.
There was no pretend injury or death.
There was just water,
Softly sprayed,
Sprinkling down,
With no collateral damage whatsoever.
I thought,
“If only all the weapons in this world were toy
water guns.”
I know. It’s not realistic.
Hunters and all.
But I want to hope for all the 10-year-olds in the
world.
I want to believe there is a better way that doesn’t
involved violence,
Real or pretend.
Amen.
No comments:
Post a Comment