Thursday, June 25, 2026

A Roller Coaster Ride

 

I went to Carowinds with a 10-year-old last week. 

Being the somewhat fearless daredevil that she is, 

She immediately ran to the tallest and fastest roller coaster in the park. 

Because we had fast passes, we didn’t have to wait in line. 

Because we didn’t have to wait in line, 

I didn’t have time to prepare her for what she was going to experience. 

It was her first roller coaster. 

She didn’t know that she would feel like she was going to die when going down that first hill. 

She didn’t know that screaming helped. 

She didn’t know that she’d feel like she couldn’t breathe. 

She didn’t know that she’d be okay. 

Needless to say, 

When we finished the ride, she was crying. 

 

She didn’t ride another roller coaster until the end of the day. 

She wanted to face her fear,

And she did it on another super high, super fast coaster. 

This time, I prepared her for what she’d feel. 

I told her that she would feel kind of scared on that first downhill drop but that she’d be okay. 

I also told her that it helped to scream. 

And boy did she scream! 

She screamed at the top of her lungs for the entire ride. 

She screamed so loud that other people on the ride turned to see who was screaming. 

While they looked, I held my ear. 

It literally hurt from her screams. 

But. 

She did it! 

And she got off that roller coaster with a huge grin on her face. 

 

We can’t always be prepared for the ups and downs of life. 

Sometimes they happen and catch us off guard and we end up in tears. 

But sometimes, 

Thanks to a friend or family member or teacher or a book or Podcast or television show, 

We can garner just enough knowledge to make the ups and downs more manageable and we end up conquering our fears. 

 

May you gently offer wisdom to someone today 

And may you receive wisdom in return. 

And if you feel like you’re falling and you wonder if you’re going to survive, 

You will. 

Scream as you’re able. 

And breathe. 

 

Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment