Thursday, August 20, 2026

Parking Lot Dancing

I was driving home from Sanford last night when I got stuck in some road construction.

 

While waiting for my turn to go, I looked to my left, into the Sheetz parking lot, and saw a woman standing there alone.

 

She had a backpack and a water bottle in her back jeans pocket.

 

Watching her, I noticed that she was starting to dance. 

 

Small dance moves turned into large dance moves until she was putting on a full dance show.

 

It was clear that she was not in her right mind.

 

She was either drunk or high or having a psychotic break. 

 

At one point, she walked into the road and I was afraid that she was going to be hit by oncoming traffic.

 

She went to the truck in front of me, banged on the window, and then turned and walked back to the parking lot.

 

I didn’t know what to do but watch in horror  and pray that she wouldn’t get hit.

 

Jes the Doctor called the police. She wanted them to check on her and get her to the appropriate place that she needed to be.

 

I see a lot of situations that make me feel sad but that I don’t know what to do about.

 

Homeless people. 

People walking on the side of the street.

Stranded motorists. 

Parents yelling at their children and children yelling at their parents.

An older person sitting alone at a restaurant.

 

Sometimes I see these situations and I think that I should do something.

But I don’t know what to do.

And so I normally just end up feeling bad and offering prayers of protection and companionship, and love 

And then hoping that that’s enough.

 

Life is not black and white

Answers are not always clear. 

Sometimes people get high to escape their reality. 

And then sometimes they dance in the parking lot, completely oblivious to the world, 

Leaving people like me feeling sad and helpless. 

 

Oh God, 

Help us all. 

Amen. 


No comments:

Post a Comment