Monday, March 1, 2010

Mercy


This is the text that I read this morning as part of my lenten devotional: (http://onlineministries.creighton.edu/CollaborativeMinistry/Lent/2nd-week.html#mon)

Jesus said to his disciples:
“Be merciful, just as your Father is merciful.
“Stop judging and you will not be judged.
Stop condemning and you will not be condemned.
Forgive and you will be forgiven.
Give and gifts will be given to you;
a good measure, packed together, shaken down, and overflowing,
will be poured into your lap.
For the measure with which you measure
will in return be measured out to you.”
Luke 6:36-38

This is the Word of God that I heard, spoken by the Spirit of God, as part of my lenten devotional:

Jesus said to his disciples:
“Be merciful, just as your Father is merciful.
“Stop judging [yourself so harshly] and you will not [live under the burden of] the judged.
Stop condemning [yourself] and you will not be condemned [by God].
Forgive [yourself] and you will [live as the] forgiven.
Give [lovingkindness to yourself] and gifts [of peace] will be given to you;
a good measure, packed together, shaken down, and overflowing,
will be poured into your lap.
For the measure with which you measure [yourself]
will in return be measured out to you.”
Luke 6:36-38

This reading may sound self-centered. It is. But not in a selfish way, rather in a self-caring way. A good friend of mine recently asked, "Why can I love everyone else but not love myself?" I responded by saying, "Because you were taught to love everyone else above yourself."

This morning, I heard God's Word guiding me not ONLY to be merciful to those around me but ALSO to be merciful to myself--not ONLY to stop judging and condemning others but ALSO to stop judging and condemning myself--not ONLY to forgive others but ALSO to forgive myself. For if I live with a spirit of harsh judgment and condemnation toward myself and if I cannot forgive myself for the wrongs of each day, then how can I properly forgive others and look upon them with a spirit of affirmation and grace? Should I condone poor behavior within myself and live with a sense of apathy toward living a Godly and righteous life? No. But should I hold myself to such a high standard that I cannot find the humility to show myself grace? No. I am human. I am part of this creation that God loves and wants to redeem...and I deserve God's mercy just as much as the neighbor to whom I am to show it.

I think the best way to reach the world with the gospel of Christ is to live it out in our own lives. What about you? What did the text say to you today?

"Lord,
your commandment of love is so simple
and so challenging.
Help me to let go of my pride,
to be humble in my penance.
I want only to live the way you ask me to love,
to love the way you ask me to live.
I ask this through your son, Jesus,
who stands at my side
today and always.
Amen."

No comments:

Post a Comment