Monday, March 29, 2010

A Follower's Prayer


Is there a place in this world where you feel God's presence in a very real way? Where as soon as you enter into the space, you can feel that it is sacred and know that you are part of something bigger?

For me, that place is Camp Mundo Vista in Sophia, NC...more specifically the Centennial Building where I encounter God in ways that I cannot describe.

I spent the weekend at Mundo Vista on a personal retreat of sorts. My main goal was to practice music for NC WMU's annual meeting, Missions Extravaganza, but my secondary goal was just to "be."

I met my friend Allison in Asheboro, NC, had dinner with her and her awesome husband, Seth, and then went to camp on Friday night. On Saturday, as Allison and I began practicing for ME (in the Centennial Building), a beautiful thing happened: a song emerged (for the first time in a really long time) that, I hope, captures both the joy and fear of following God's call--both as an individual (for me, an individual called away from home to serve with SC-WMU, and for Allison, an individual called into the public schools of NC) and as the wonderful organization that is WMU-NC.

This song speaks my heart this morning. What about you?

-----

A Follower’s Prayer
D. Deaton and A. Markwood, 3/27/10

Lord, I smile at the thought of your calling
But then where you lead me is never where I expect it to be
What you ask overwhelms me and I’m paralyzed by fear
I don’t have the skill or knowledge to accomplish your will
But I will

Be my light, be my guide
Help me see in this world
Where I can be the hands and feet
Of your love
Help me be, help me do
Help me live in you, Lord
In everything, shine through me
As I follow you

Lord, you never said that the road would be easy
The mockers and scoffers and critics and skeptics will stand up to taunt me
Only a fool would choose to walk into uncertainties
I guess I’m a fool ‘cause I choose you though a struggle it may be
So let it be
Repeat Chorus

Lord we know that you have called us
Lord we know that’s why we’re here
Search our hearts and mold our intentions
Your Kingdom come, your will be done

Be our light, be our guide
Help us see in this world
Where we can be the hands and feet
Of your love
Help us be, help us do
Help us live in you, Lord
In everything shine through us
As we journey on

-------

*ROUGH recording (made in the Centennial Building at Mundo) posted at http://www.reverbnation.com/deannadeaton*

No comments:

Post a Comment