Thursday, March 25, 2010

Love's Peace


Last night, a good friend shared with me that God had been teaching her a lot lately. As I stopped to consider what God had been teaching me, I was immediately struck by numerous positive words that seem to affirm both the work that I'm doing and the family member and friend that I'm being.

I won't lie and say that my transition to SC has been easy. There have been many, many days that I've wondered what I've gotten myself into and been so homesick that it's literally painful. I've been on a sharp learning curve that has, at times, been overwhelming and confusing, and I've wondered what I can bring to my job that is good and needed and life-giving. I've doubted my decision to leave the church and work for a denominational-like entity, and I've pondered why God led me to SC WMU.

While my questions still lurk in the background (there are always questions lurking in the background of my mind!), this week--the first week of Spring--has been full of moments of grace when I've realized that I'm exactly where I need to be, doing exactly what I need to do, even when it's hard and I miss home. My mom has told me that I'm a good daughter. My boss has relayed positive reports of my work at spring meetings. My friends from home have written to say they miss me. My friends here have spoken their gratefulness for my presence in their lives. My Stanley has taken on a life of his own. And our Facebook presence has greatly expanded over the last two weeks.

So as I sit in the office today, trying to remain focused and accomplish the numerous tasks on my to-do list, I am confident in the fact that God is teaching me about God's peace that passes all understanding--that comes when we need it the most--and I am struck by the beauty that IS God in this season of new life and hope.

What about you? What is God teaching you? And in what ways is God reminding you of God's peace and faithfulness...even when you don't fully understand the circumstances and/or mission field on which you find your life?

I close with a poem, "Love's Peace":

Brown transitions to pink and green
A gentle breeze caressing skin
As eyes close to rest in the moment.

It’s unspoken understanding that transcends the what’s,
What’s filling the silence only as nervous energy drawn by
Connection too deep for words.
Beauty lives where senses are heightened and
Awareness of creation is so real that it dances a waltz for the very first time.
What’s fade into the background as
Sweet fragrance takes center stage and
Presence becomes undeniable.

Capture the moment in picture—
Oils or pastels or watercolors feverishly transforming canvas
From barren white to radiant color.
Capture the moment in song—
Harps or keys or drums bursting forth from soft rustle
Creating vibrations so simple and powerful that they invoke passionate tears.

Brown transitions to pink and green
A gentle breeze caressing skin
As eyes close to rest in the moment.

Humility envelopes any thought of pride:
There is Love much bigger than life and
Love’s Peace decorates the world today.

--dd, 3/25/10

No comments:

Post a Comment