Monday, November 29, 2010

Surprise Church Sign Friendship

As I was searching for what to post on the SHINE page this week, I came across an excellent small group activity centered around the surprises that God allows to be part of our lives. (http://www.mymissionfulfilled.com/article.asp?id=2333)

Since reading the activity, I, myself, have been thinking about the surprises in my life and finding myself amazed at just how many awesome people have become part of my life...totally by surprise!

One of those people is the friend who inspired me to write out my detailed list of things that I am thankful for (that I posted on Facebook on Thanksgiving Day). We met on camp staff one summer, mentioned that we should have lunch together sometime, and then proceeded to have lunch together almost every week for two school years. The time that we spent together talking each week was sacred time...and she has become a cherished friend.

Even though distance has separated us and forced us to stop having lunch each week, we still have a special bond that holds us together:

Every time one of us sees a church sign that is especially unique (powerful, quarky, funny, full of terrible theology, etc.), we text the other what we have seen. We usually end up laughing or gasping together, exhanging a brief update on our lives, and then going about our daily or nightly activities.

I am thankful for this bond and friendship.

What about you? Are there people in your life who have taken you by surprise? And what unique bond/activities do you have with them? I have to wonder if anything is more unique than exchanging church sign sitings! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment