Friday, November 5, 2010

I Am A Body

A few days ago, my friend Mandy needed a proof-reader so I got the privilege of reading her writing. Because her words reflect something that I've been thinking about as I've considered how we love God with heart, soul, mind, and strength, I want to share them here. There is no way I could express these thoughts better:

There is this tension knot in my shoulder that is my constant companion. For years it has been reliable and predictable. As my schedule becomes chaotic, as unexpected stress creeps up, as I butt up against all the things that are frustratingly out of my control, the knot radiates its pain and beckons me to pay attention to this body I am.

A lack of taking care of this body is nothing new. I’ve ignored doctors' advice to exercise and be more mindful of what I eat. Most recently, while pregnant with my youngest son, I continued to push my body even as my blood pressure spiked and the doctor demanded rest. And really, I knew better. I knew that this was the only chance at a body that I got; I knew my genetic disposition; I knew, I knew, I knew.

Something has finally shifted within me, however, and I am learning to connect my life as a body with my life as a spirit.

While in California for a conference, I participated in a worship service that introduced me to the spiritual practice of movement. Cynthia Winton-Henry (one of the founders of InterPlay) stood up to lead worship and simply radiated a combination of peace and power. She led us to use our bodies in worship by taking a deep breath and letting it out with an audible sigh. She also encouraged us to run our hands over our skin to remind us that we are indeed a body. We swayed and stomped as we sang songs and we even let our hands dance. It was all very California and it did bring out the skeptic in me. But beyond my discomfort at trying something new (and a little silly), it was as if something snapped into place within me.

In these months following my introduction to movement as spiritual practice, I find myself changed. For the first time, I see how connected mind, sprit, and body are. I notice when I’ve been rushing around, physically pushing my limits, and I know that to take ten minutes to breathe, center, or pray with my body will ground me once again. Even as I use the weight equipment at the gym I can feel my spirit growing stronger just as my body grows stronger.

This all may seem funny but I dare you to try it. I dare you to take ten minutes of your busy day to sit in silence; to play beautiful music and let your body sway; to breathe deeply and let it out with a sigh; or to learn a new body prayer. You might be surprised at what happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment