Monday, May 1, 2023

The Color Purple

 Many years ago, my brother said something that I will never forget:

If musicals are important to you,

Then spend the money to go.

We all must figure out what we value in life and

Then spend our time, energy, and resources on those things.

 

I’ve seen a lot of musicals since that moment when I decided they were important to me.

Some I recall clearly. Others I don’t.

Some I want to see again. Others I don’t.

Some I want to remember. The new adaptation of Oklahoma I want to forget.

Some I’ve seen on Broadway in NYC.

Others I’ve seen in Durham, or Raleigh, or local schools and churches throughout NC.

Some I’ve seen with friends and family.

Others I’ve seen alone.

 

One of my favorite musical companions is Amelia-The-Niece.

I first took her to see “The Wizard of Oz” when she was in grade school.

We’ve since been to “Annie,” “Ain’t Too Proud,” “Rent,” “Frozen,” “Dear Evan Hansen,”

And as of Saturday night, “The Color Purple.”

 

I have favorite seats at the DPAC.

They are in the back left of the first balcony,

Affordable,

Near the bathrooms,

Not surrounded by people,

And offer a fine vantage point.

For most of our shows, we’ve sat in my favorite seats.

But “The Color Purple” was in Raleigh in Fletcher Auditorium.

By the time I realized the show was running,

There weren’t many seats still available,

And the seats that were available were ridiculously expensive.

I REALLY wanted to see the show, though,

And tickets on the 6th row were only $30 more expensive than tickets on the back row.

So I bought 6th row seats in an already intimate auditorium.

 

Friends: If you have a chance to see a show that you really want to see and you get the opportunity to sit up close, do it!

It was amazing.

First, the show itself was awesome.

The plot was heavy, but it wasn’t depressing.

The music was fun.

And the actors that the North Carolina Theatre chose were superb.

Second, seeing the facial expressions of the actors was so cool.

The eye contact, the emotions, the body language, the tears—

I can’t adequately describe it.

I’ve seen a couple of other shows up close,

But this one took my breath away.

 

I think the thing that got me the most was the finale and the curtain call.

A handful of actors were so moved that they were crying real tears.

One of the main characters had to stop singing all together because she was do caught-up in the moment.

I don’t know if the subject matter of the show hit her,

If the audience had been particularly responsive,

If she did this at each performance,

Or if it was something else all-together,

But she and the others were genuinely touched,

And it touched me, too.

 

May what we value touch us, move us, and bring us to tears.

In a good way.

And may we value things that bring us closer together with those we love.

Always.

 

Amen.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment