Monday, May 29, 2023

Memorial Day Thoughts

 I had my note for today written.

Then I watched the National Memorial Day Celebration on PBS

And realized that I had written the wrong note.

I need to write this one instead.

 

I need to confess that I am one of the

Fortunate?

Lucky?

Sheltered?

Ones who do not know that I know anyone who has died in battle.

Both of my grandfathers served in WWII.

G-daddy was part of the famous battle in Cologne, Germany, and earned a purple heart for his service.

My dad was in the Army Reserves for most of his adult life.

My sister-in-law’s father served in the Vietnam War.

I have friends who are in the military or who have family members currently serving in the Armed Forces.

But I, personally, do not know that I know anyone who has died in battle.

 

Sometimes I think that it’s not fair.

Sometimes I feel guilty for not fully understanding the pain.

Sometimes I feel bad for being thankful for a day off work.

Sometimes I feel so privileged and entitled that I hang my head in shame.

 

Last night on the PBS Broadcast,

A family shared their story of loss.

The mother spoke of how on the first Memorial Day after her son’s death,

The family received probably 100 phone calls.

The next year it went to 75,

Then 25,

And now hardly anyone remembers.

But the family does.

Every day they remember their loss.

Every day, they said, is their Memorial Day.

 

Friends:

I don’t know that I know anyone who has died in battle,

So I don’t know how to directly honor Memorial Day.

And maybe you’re so

Fortunate?

Lucky?

Sheltered?

That you don’t know that you know either.

 

So maybe we should start not by saying “Happy Memorial Day,”

Because it’s not exactly a happy day,

But by shedding tears for those who are hurting,

And sending love and light and prayers

To a people who are mourning,

And pausing from our day to be

Thankful

That we don’t carry the heavy burden of loss

Brought on by sacrifice.

 

Dear God: Be with those who are hurting today. And help those of us who don’t know that we know someone who has died in battle to be light and love and all things good to everyone we meet, for we don’t know what they’re going through. And God? Help us to remember. Tangibly and intangibly. Help us to remember. Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment