Monday, May 15, 2023

Discipline

 I had a good weekend.

Heidi the Librarian and I broke-in our newly designed tin art studio on Friday night.

Spring Extravaganza went well on Saturday morning and D&H Designs left with much less than we arrived with.

I wrote a sermon on Saturday night that a couple of people needed to hear on Sunday morning.

And we had a lovely Mother’s Day celebration on Sunday evening.

While I am grateful for days full of good, meaningful activity,

I was exhausted at the end of each day.

And yet…

I had a poem to write each night before bed.

 

I’ve said this before,

But Heidi and I began writing blackout poetry at the beginning of June 2021,

And I’ve not missed but two days since—

One when I was in the most excruciating pain of my life and stuck away from home for the night, and

Two when I was in the hospital after having surgery.

Every other day for almost two years,

I’ve written at least one blackout poem.

There have been many times when I haven’t wanted to write.

There have been many times when I’ve yawned my way through the process.

There have been many times when I’ve gotten frustrated with the text.

And there have been many times when I’ve tried to convince myself that just one miss wouldn’t matter.

But it would.

Not because I’m creating brilliant poetry.

But because a discipline is a discipline.

It’s something that isn’t always easy but that makes you better through its process.

 

Writing these notes is a discipline.

To post every Monday and Thursday, I usually write on Sundays and Wednesdays.

There have been many times when I haven’t wanted to write.

There have been many times when I’ve yawned my way through the process.

There have been many times when I’ve not known what to say.

And there have been many times when I’ve tried to convince myself that just one miss won’t matter.

But it would.

Not because what I have to say is so earth-shatteringly important.

But because a discipline is a discipline.

It’s something that isn’t always easy but that makes you better through its process.

 

In Divinity School, I learned about the disciplines of prayer, fasting, meditation, and study.

I know of friends who have made running or Duolingo their discipline.

What is your current discipline?

Do you ever struggle to keep it up?

What helps you push through?

And when you do, are you grateful?

 

Dear God: Thank you for giving us ways to grow. Help us to persevere when the growing is hard, and as Dory says, God, help us to “just keep swimming.” Amen.  

 

No comments:

Post a Comment