Thursday, May 25, 2023

Banana Peel in Road

 ***After writing this note, I learned that, in North Carolina, it is illegal to throw anything out of a moving vehicle. I will make sure to follow up with my third grader and let him know this law.***

 

I was recently driving home a 3rd grader eating a banana,

When he rolled down the window and tossed out the peel.

He was sitting on the driver’s side of the car,

So the peel landed in the road.

 

Usually, I get mad when I see someone throw garbage out the window.

I don’t understand it.

I don’t condone it.

And, quite frankly, I think it inconsiderate to animals, nature, and other people.

So when my window went down and something went out the window,

My immediate reaction wasn’t positive.

When I realized that it was a banana peel, though,

And named the fact that I, myself, sometimes throw out fruit and vegetable wastes,

I calmed down and thought,

“But I throw them onto the side of the road instead.”

And then we had this conversation:

 

“Sweetie,” I said,

“The next time you have a banana peel that you want to throw out,

Give it to someone on the passenger’s side

So that they can throw it in the grass rather than in the middle of the road.

If it lands in the middle of the road,

Then an animal might get hit trying to get it.”

“Like a raccoon?” he said.”

“Yes.”

“Or a deer?”

“Yes.”

“Or a turkey vulture?”

“Yes.”

“Or it could hit a car coming the other way.”

“Yes.”

“Okay.”

 

And that was that.

 

May we be a people open to less harsh judgment and more gentle conversation.

And may we be a people determined not to throw trash out the window.

 

Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment