Monday, March 23, 2020

Toothbrush Prayer

I can’t believe that I’m admitting this to the world.

But sometimes I don’t brush my teeth at night.

Sometimes I’m too tired.

Sometimes I’m angry with myself and treat the non-brushing as some sort of twisted punishment.

Sometimes I fall asleep early.

Sometimes I’m just lazy.

Regardless, sometimes I don’t brush my teeth at night.

And so…I made brushing my teeth at night my Lenten practice.

I know. It seems a bit odd to add something that should already be part of daily life. But. Well. I’ve already admitted the truth. And so I added the practice.

And not just that. I added the practice of standing still while I brushing my teeth.

I’d gotten into the habit of wandering around the upstairs, picking things up, preparing for bed, etc.

But now. Each night. I find myself standing still in the bathroom, brushing my teeth…praying.

I find myself praying each night…for my friends, my family, my students, myself, this world, the impact of this virus, Love to be real, God to be present, any and everything that comes to mind while I brush off the gunk that could create problems if not removed.

So tonight, I challenge you to join me in a tooth-brushing time of prayer. It may only last a couple of minutes, but that couple of minutes could change someone’s life…not the least of which is your own.

Happy brushing, everyone! And…don’t forget to stay in place. Staying in place is important. But it may be harder than you think…

No comments:

Post a Comment