Thursday, March 26, 2020

Good Helper Dee

A few weeks ago, my mom commented that she needed me to stay home for one month so that I could help her clean out the attic.

Thanks to Covid-19, she got her wish…and then some.

Every day since last Tuesday, we have spent time in the attic—sorting, arranging, rearranging, remembering, laughing, crying, throwing things away, giving things away, keeping things right where they were, feeling encouraged, feeling discouraged, and lots of things in between.

We have cleaned out three car loads of thrift store stuff and three car loads of empty boxes and trash.

We now know everything that is being stored in half of the attic. Over the next few weeks, we will hopefully figure out everything else.

Today, I found this little card that made me smile. It fell out of my elementary school keepsakes and very simply says: Good Helper Deanna.

Evidently, even at a young age, I was already showing tendencies to help.

Right now, in the midst of this global health crisis, I am feeling a bit helpless to help anyone other than my mom with the attic. I know that I am helping society by sheltering in place as much as possible. I know that I can help by donating money to worthy causes. I know that I can do my job and provide my students with little rays of musical sunshine. But other than that…I feel pretty helpless…and I know I’m not the only one.

Oh God of Help and Hope: Grant us peace and purpose in these times of helplessness and despair. Even in the small things, remind us that we have a purpose much bigger than ourselves and help us to remember that life is most fully lived in the journey, not the outcome. We love you, God. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment