Monday, March 16, 2020

Spring Break Prayers

Last Spring Break, a friend and I took a trip to Phoenix to go to the Antiques Roadshow. While there, we took a day trip to Sedona to see some of the most beautiful country there is. To better catch the beauty of our surroundings, we decided to take a hike…and before I knew it, we were hiking full speed ahead, up a very daunting mountain.

I don’t know about you, but I like to take my time when I’m hiking. Not only does it help me physically, but it also helps me mentally, spiritually, and emotionally. I like to go slow—to really take in the sights, smells, and textures of my surroundings. Sometimes I stop to take pictures. Sometimes I stop to write poetry. Sometimes I stop to breathe. But on this hike, I wasn’t stopping for anything. The friends I was with were moving quickly up the mountain and there were strangers on my tail. I didn’t have time to do anything other than pray that I didn’t run out of breath or fall down the mountain. “Help, God, help,” I prayed. “Help, God, help!”

Despite intense peer pressure to keep going to the mountain’s peak, I decided to stop half way up. I really had no desire to climb all the way to the top and I certainly didn’t want to do it at break neck speed. After convincing my friends that I really, truly did not want to keep going, I sat down in a rock crevice on the side of the mountain and breathed a heavy sigh of reprieve. As I sat there, somewhat anxious about getting down the mountain alone but more so content to have stopped the hike, tears of relief filled my eyes. “Thanks, God, thanks,” I prayed. “Thanks, God, thanks!”

After sitting still and gathering my wits for about 15 minutes, I began to make my way down the mountain. I took my time. I helped other people. I stopped and took pictures. I laid on a flat portion of rock for awhile, gazing at the crisp, white clouds in the bright, blue sky, feeling the warmth of the sun hitting my skin. I found an old river bed and imagined what it was like when water had raged there. I marveled at the tree roots. I felt the smooth edges of river rock. I looked up at the mountain’s outline and wondered where my friends were. I had an absolutely glorious time alone, and all I could think was, “Wow, God, wow!” “Wow, God, wow!”

Help. Thanks. Wow. Three simple, yet essential, prayers of our faith.

Dear God: Help us in these days of fear, stress, and uncertainty. Thank you for the work you are doing in the midst of it all. For you are good, gracious, loving, and the God of peace. Wow! Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment