Monday, March 2, 2020

Helpless Or Not

I intercepted some drawings today that are not fit for the Internet. They were drawn by two 4th grade boys who have evidently been exposed to sexual matters far beyond their age. It’s sad really—the nature of the drawings and the reality of just how young our children are sexualized in today’s culture. Even commercials are highly sexualized…but these drawings were beyond even what has come to be considered the norm :-\.

I remember the story of a youth minister who was exposed to his first sexual images at a sleepover in the 2nd grade…and from that point forward, he was addicted. His addiction eventually cost him tens of thousands of dollars, various jobs, and his marriage…and it all started in 2nd grade.

It makes me sad. Profoundly sad. And, if I’m honest, it leaves me feeling somewhat helpless…

Meanwhile, I was gifted another drawing by a 4th grade girl who used her time to create a message of empowerment. She drew herself singing the song that we were singing (“Waving Flag”), wearing a black lives matter shirt.

I was happy to see her drawing. I was happy to see that she had chosen to write out song lyrics. She could have chosen a lot of other things, but she chose the words that I was trying to instill in them.

I guess maybe I’m not helpless after all.

God…when the darkness of this world seems too dark to overcome, help us see your light in the many ways that it is shining. In the name of the One who overcomes darkness I pray…Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment