Monday, July 19, 2010

If These Walls Could Speak

I didn't think it was possible. My mom didn't either. Yet my sister, her husband, their two children, and I all fit--rather comfortably--into my studio apartment for the weekend. And we had a super good time!

Tonight, as I sit in a very quiet room, I'm reminded of a song by Amy Grant that I used to want to play as the background to my farewell speech after reigning as some version of a Miss Tabor City pageant queen. [No. I was never in a pageant--go figure--but I must admit that I secretly got swept into pageant fever by my friends :-).] The song ponders the very simple question of what these walls would say should they be able to speak.

Here's what I think mine would say:

Deanna, you are loved.

Remember the sounds of Griffin and Amelia playing, laughing, and feeling a deep sense of excitement because they were with you. Those sounds are precious and can never be replaced.

Remember the happy anticipation of a sleepy Griffin, in your bed, looking forward to waking up next to you in the morning so that you could "roll around and bang on each other" and then spend the day at the zoo together. Remember how he overflowed with the words, "I love you, Dee," just before falling asleep.

Remember Griffin and Amelia giving each other sweet little hugs and snuggling with mama and daddy. Remember Griffin getting Amelia a little cup of water to go with his cup of water beside the bed.

Remember having your family around the picnic table by the lake, eating together, and then running to my walls to get out of the sudden rainstorm that you watched move across the lake.

Remember the generosity and carefree spirit of Dana and Finley and how they showed you new parts of the town and made you feel proud to live in this place.

Remember the look of content innocence that Amelia gave you as you held her and read to her and she said, "I love you very very much."

Remember how Dana and Finley cleaned my space so that you could walk out on the dock one last time with Griffin and Amelia.

Remember that you watched them come into this world.

Deanna, you are loved. And it's okay to miss them and cry. But remember that the love is still here, in these walls, in this space, in your heart...

"And these three remain: faith, hope, and love. But the greatest of these is love."

No comments:

Post a Comment