Thursday, July 22, 2010

A Birthday Reflection

One Christmas, my mom locked herself into her room for about three days. My brother, sister, and I had no idea what she was preparing, but we knew it must be something super special because it top secret.

When we opened our gifts that year, we each had a book entited: See How ____________(insert name) Has Grown. The books had pictures of us, in order, from every birthday and Christmas morning.

Flipping through the books, it was neat to see how we had grown. I couldn't help but chuckle at the clothes that I once wore, the hair that I once sported, that glasses that once covered my face, and the year that I switched from a birthday cake to a birthday cookie.

Today, as I think about my book and kick myself for the fact that I've gotten behind on its update, I realize, like I realized the day that I received it, just what a special treasure it is. Not only is it a reflection of the progression my life, but it is also a reflection of the fact that I am loved and cherished by a family who has been together and made memories--in some way--for birthdays and major holidays for our whole lives.

I suppose that birthdays are especially good times to reflect on how fortunate we are to have the people in our lives that we do. Then I again, I suppose it would be a good spiritual practice to do this every day, to thank God for allowing us to love and be loved, and to ask God to expand our hearts and circle of friends so that we can love and be loved by even more people!

Today, in honor of my birthday, tell someone you love that you love him/her and be thankful for the people who have been with you as you've grown--even when they get on your nerves :-)! Then after you've done that, say a special prayer that God will help you see the people around you who may need a friend.

Also, think about doing what my mom did--taking and compiling pictures of yourself on the same occassion from each year of your life so that you can see how you've grown. You'll probably cringe at some of the pictures, but, hey, it's okay. Bad hair, glasses, make up, acne, clothes, etc. are just part of life :-).

No comments:

Post a Comment