Monday, July 19, 2010

Gorilla

I went to the zoo with my niece and nephew today. We got to see a lot of neat animals, and I even got to see two things for the very first time: the koala bears awake and the grizzly bears swimming!

As is typical with brothers and sisters, my niece and nephew had a few points of disagreement during the day--the biggest of which was over the stroller. My niece did NOT like that my nephew wanted to ride in HER stroller :-).

My niece also didn't like when my nephew got too close to the gorilla. Both of the gorillas were hanging out in the shade by the observation window--one of them sprawled out with his arm on to top of his eyes--the other sitting up with his back against the window.

As my nephew was trying to measure how tall the gorilla was in comparison to him, my niece started screaming. "No G, no! No!!!!!"

I thought she was upset because he got the best window spot. Their mom figured out that she was upset because she thought the gorilla was going to get her brother. In her 2 1/2 year old mind, the separation glass was not enough to keep him safe.

My niece screamed until G walked to where she was standing and she knew he was safe. As soon as he stood beside her, she was okay.

When you see a friend or family member "in danger" do you "scream" until they reach "safety?"

We cannot control other people's choices, but we can passionately communicate when we sense that something is wrong.

Can you think of a time when you've voiced your concern for someone you love? What happened when you did?

2 comments:

  1. Yes, indeed. I have looked straight into the eyes of someone I care about and asked what it would take to get them motivated to do something positive to change a certain situation in their life. We discussed it a little bit. They gave an "I don't know" response. They did not reject my caring and concern. However, at this point, it hasn't made a different in their situation.

    I have also had others do the same to me. In fact, just tonight I got a very blunt question from someone who cares. It feels good to know that people care. Might be tough questions, requiring soul-searching answers, but, yes, it feels good to know that someone cares enough to say something.

    ReplyDelete
  2. :-) I about jumped out of my seat in excitement when I saw that I had a comment! Hooray! And thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete