Monday, January 1, 2024

Goodness Abounds (Part Two)

I had just gone upstairs to take my afternoon nap when I heard the doorbell ring. When I opened the door, there was a man whom I didn’t know waiting on the sidewalk.

 

Long story short, the man was Andrew the Roofer who had come to collect his check. As he came into the house, he noticed the piano to the right.

 

As he waited for my mom to write the check, we chatted about music. He explained that he didn’t appreciate having to take piano lessons as a kid, but he now appreciates knowing music theory and being able to play the piano.

 

He said, “If Dan weren’t asleep, I’d play a little song for you.” I said, “Oh, it won’t matter. He can’t hear the piano all the way back in his room.”

 

And so, after Andrew the Roofer got his check for the hard, physical labor of roofing, he, mom, and I went to the music room where he sat down and began to delicately play the keys.

 

He played for at least ten minutes, becoming more and more comfortable the longer he played,

clearly enjoying himself and the momentary escape that the music gave him.

 

Having no idea that my mom is practically a professional pianist, he asked her to play a little for him. She, of course, blew him away. He sang along to the melodies he recognized and when she finished playing, he just said, “Wow. You didn’t miss a beat,” and then requested Greensleeves 😊.

 

Mom once had a busy UPS worker stop for a moment on the porch to listen to her play, but she’d never had a roofer come into the house to sit at her piano and play for himself!

 

As Andrew the Roofer was leaving, he said, “This has inspired me to get out my keyboard and play more often.” I smiled. And after he left, mom and I looked at each other and said, “That was weird. And neat.”

 

And it was.

The power of music had spoken.

And I got to bear witness.

 

 

A few months ago, Barb The Art Teacher gave me some tins that she’d collected from her Aunt Pat. On Thursday night, as I lay in bed trying to sleep, I thought to myself, “You should make B something with her Aunt Pat’s tins.” B texted me the next morning to tell me that her Aunt Pat had died the night before. Coincidence? Maybe. But I can’t help but think not.

 

And so I went into the studio and began to peruse Aunt Pat’s tins. I deconstructed some things and pondered what I could make, but nothing spoke to me until suddenly it did. Early in our careers, B and I sat outside of our classrooms on the picnic tables behind the school and had a pomegranate seed spitting competition. A few years later, it became a joke with B and me that “Art is not art unless you put a bird on it.” One of Aunt Pat’s tins had a pomegranate on it. Another had a bird.

 

When I put them together, it was as if it was meant to be.

The power of art had spoken.

And I got to bear witness.

 

 

As we enter 2024, may we bear witness to

Music and

Art and

Goodness and

Light.

 

God IS goodness.

And goodness abounds.

 

Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment