Monday, October 3, 2022

I Was Wrong--Ten Years Ago

 The picture on the top is from ten years ago. It popped up in my FB memories yesterday. The picture on the bottom is from today. My life has changed about as much as my office in the ten years in between. 

 

Ten years ago, I had just left a job that I’d imagined retiring from and was back home with an uncertain future. When I stopped teaching to go to Divinity School and then enter into full-time ministry, I didn’t think that I would be back in the public schools as a teacher. A volunteer? A tutor? A school board member? A champion for public education? Yes. But a teacher? No. I had nothing against being a teacher. I just thought my life was going in a different direction. I was wrong. 

 

So when I moved home, in the middle of the school year, knowing that music jobs were few and far between, I didn’t really know what my future would bring. I’d once said that I would consider going back into the schools if I could reunite with Barb The Art Teacher, but I didn’t think that’d be possible. I was wrong. 

 

To make a long story short, the music teacher position at the school where Barb was teaching opened the next year, so I took it. Nine years ago, I began my 9th year of teaching at Johnsonville Elementary School. My work at Johnsonville was long and hard. We were a failing school. There were many days of sweat and tears. But out of necessity and need, some of the most wonderful educators I’ve ever met came together and pulled JES out of the rubble. I had multiple opportunities to leave JES during those trying years, but I turned them down. I thought I’d be at JES a long time. I was wrong. 

 

This year, I began year my fifth year at Greenwood. (At year 18 altogether, I’m making the same amount of money as Barb at year 24 😡. But that’s not the point here.) The point is that I often wonder what good I’m doing at Greenwood. For a long time, I thought maybe it was none. But lately I’ve realized. I was wrong. 

 

Ten years ago, I didn’t have training in trauma and resilience. 

 

Ten years ago, I didn’t have firsthand experience working with kids with special needs. 

 

Ten years ago, I didn’t have training in providing a safe space for all students. 

 

Ten years ago, I didn’t have some of the amazing friends in educators that I have now—both from JES and GES. 

 

I didn’t have countless Friday night memories spent in social gatherings with people giving their lives for the good of others. 

 

I didn’t have countless writings that I hope have encouraged those I’ve come to love. 

 

Ten years ago, I didn’t have a full set of classroom keyboards, bucket drums, and Appalachian dulcimers. I didn’t have multiple YouTube links from which to teach. I didn’t have lesson plans and units in my pocket. And I certainly didn’t have the knowledge of how numerous musicians and composers died! 

 

Ten years ago, my life was very different than it is now. My orange fish art collection was just beginning, and so was my current life. Ten years ago, I couldn’t really see a way forward. I thought my ministry was over. I was wrong. 

 

And I’m so glad I was. 

No comments:

Post a Comment