Monday, October 17, 2022

Bright Ideas Grant

 Did you know that September 15th through October 15th was Hispanic Heritage Month? And did you know that the types of Hispanic music are countless?

 

Because of the area where I live, and because of the likelihood that my students will see one, mariachi is the music that I’ve focused on for the past decade.

 

Mariachi music originated in Mexico and includes five main instruments: trumpet, violin, guitar, guitarron, and vihuela.

 

Chances are good that you’ve not heard of the latter two instruments, but they are crucial to mariachi—in fact, if you don’t have the guitarron and vihuela, then you don’t have a mariachi.

 

I own a trumpet, violin, and guitar. They are all common instruments that either I play or that come up in multiple types of music. I do not, however, own a guitarron or vihuela. Together, they cost $1000, and I’ve not been able to justify the personal expense of instruments that are limited to one type of music and that I do not know how to play.

 

Not being able to justify the instruments, though, hasn’t stopped me from wanting them.

 

Enter the Bright Ideas Grant.

 

Every year, NC’s electric cooperatives provide grants to teachers who have ideas for creative learning projects. I had applied to receive Bright Ideas Grants in the past, but I was not awarded any money.

 

It hadn’t occurred to me to write a grant for the guitarron or vihuela until this year. And while I was writing, the idea turned into an entire world music extravaganza! Here is what I wrote in the introduction:

 

The "Instrument Petting Zoo" will allow students to see, feel, and play a variety of musical instruments from around the world (guitarrón [Mexico], vihuela [Mexico], shamisen [Japan], balalaika [Russia], lute [China], and Native American Drum and Jingles [Indigenous Peoples of North America]). Pictures and sound samples are nice, but real, tangible instruments are far more exciting for students who will likely never see, feel, or play them if not exposed to them at school. To feel the weight of an instrument--to touch its strings and watch it vibrate--to make a connection with a different culture--those are all irreplaceable experiences that will be achieved through the "Instrument Petting Zoo."

 

And. I was awarded the grant! I get to buy my guitarron and vihuela! And some other cool instruments as well!

 

Representatives from our electric coop came to the school on Thursday morning to award both me and Shauna-The-Art-Teacher Bright Ideas Grants. (Shauna wrote hers for a glass kiln). To say that we were both surprised is an understatement. To say that we were both grateful goes without saying.

 

As Ecclesiastes says, there is a time for everything. And I guess my time to purchase my guitarron and vihuela is finally here!

 

Yay!

 

Dear God: Help us to persevere and not to give up on our hopes and dreams. I know that not everything we wish for will come true but thank you for the things that do. Amen.  

No comments:

Post a Comment