Thursday, September 2, 2021

Random Reminders of Goodness

 

After 4th grade yesterday, one of my colleagues stopped by to tell me a story.

 

She said that her class was reading a book together and that “orchestra” was one of the pre-vocabulary words.

 

She asked the class if they knew what an orchestra was and they lit up.

 

“We talked about that in music yesterday!” they exclaimed!

 

“Well, what is an orchestra?” she asked.

 

“It’s a band,” a student responded.

 

“Well…sort of. But what else?” the teacher prodded.

 

“It’s like a band, but with the string family. If you don’t have the string family, then you don’t have an orchestra,” another student continued.

 

“Yes!” the teacher said. “And what are the members of the string family?”

 

“Violin, viola, cello, and bass,” the students filled in.

 

“And trumpet!” one said.

 

“No. The trumpet isn’t in the string family,” the teacher corrected. “All of the members of the string family have to have strings.”

 

“Hmmm,” pondered one boy, “a trumpet would look really weird with strings!”

 

After reporting this story, she looked at me and said, “So, they are listening!”

 

I grinned. And yes, my eyes filled with tears. I was so very grateful.

 

I still am.

 

God: Thank you for the small reminders that keep us going. Give each of us a small reminder of goodness today. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment