Thursday, September 23, 2021

Bifocals

 

Yesterday was my 44th and 1/6 birthday.

Just two days previous,

The eye doctor told me what I already knew:

I’m getting old.

 

Not only has my prescription changed for the worse,

But also…

I need…

Bifocals.

 

Progressive lenses.

“Just a teensy-weensy amount,” she said.

But my gracious did that teensy-weensy amount make a huge difference in my ability to read—

At least on the machine in the doctor’s office.

 

I’m not looking forward to my new lenses.

Not because they mean that I’m old; I’m not as shamed of my age.

But simply because I don’t do well with glasses changes.

I feel sick for days on end.

 

Headaches, stomach aches, weird depth perception.

I’ve had to return glasses because I couldn’t adjust to them.

I’m anxious this will be the same.

And yet…I know that I must give ‘em a try.

 

There is no point to this note.

No inspirational spin.

Just a simple, honest confession:

I’m getting old and I need bifocals.

 

There I said it.

 

Is there something you need to confess today? 😊

No comments:

Post a Comment