Monday, September 27, 2021

Betrayal

 

“If you need someone to trust, then you chose the right person,” she said.

But then she stopped answering my texts and calls    

And I found out three days later that she had shared my story

Without my permission and

Changed my life forever.

 

Betrayal hurts.

 

I suppose that’s why I fell apart when catching Mama Cat yesterday.

 

Over the past month, we had worked to build her trust

And then bam!

We betrayed that trust,

Trapped her and

Changed her life forever.

 

I know.

Cats aren’t humans.

I know.

Mama Cat doesn’t feel the same emotions as me.

I know.

We’re doing what’s best for her.

She needs medical care to be the best cat she can be

And not overpopulate the neighborhood.

 

But still.

 

The whole process hurt me on a level far deeper than passing sadness.

 

It hooked me.

 

The sadness was one of betrayal.

Of being blindsided.

Of one person having power over another.

Of being caught when you least expect it.  

 

And it hurt.

 

Maybe you hurt today, too.

Not because you had to trap a cat.

But because of something else.

Maybe you feel the sting of betrayal.

Maybe you feel the emptiness of loss.

Maybe you don’t even know why you’re feeling what you feel.

You just know that you hurt.

 

If so, friend:

Know that you’re not alone.

 

Jesus: You were betrayed. You were hurt. You experienced loss. You wept. You understand. So take our deepest hurts and spread healing balm on them in a way that only you can. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment