Thursday, September 16, 2021

Creative Movement CDs

 

I’ve been walking down memory lane recently.

It started when I found my old mix CDs.

It’s continued as I’ve grieved the loss of one of my college friends to Covid.

Some of the memories have been good.

Some have been sad.

But one memory in particular has been just plain funny-weird.

 

Do you remember when creative movement was a big thing in the church?

 

Well, evidently, I was so enthusiastic about creative movement that I made not one, but two, “Creative Movement Songs” CDs!

 

I, who have done two creative movements in my entire life,

And struggled through both of them because I was so self-conscious,

Made TWO CD’s full of songs that I thought would be good for creative movement.

 

Who did I think was going to choreograph said creative movements?

Certainly not me!

I can’t even choreograph a song for my Kindergarten students,

Much less teenagers or adults!

 

Speaking of teenagers or adults—

Who did I think was going to perform said imaginary creative movements?

I didn’t have a group of teenagers or adults waiting around to do creative movements in front of the church.

 

And yet…not one, but two, CD’s did I make!

 

And it just makes me laugh.

 

And in the midst of the grief of losing a friend,

And in the midst of the stress of teaching (and the education system in general),

And in the midst of a polarized society and faith system that I struggle to understand,

It’s been good to laugh.

 

I think that sometimes in the midst of the heaviness of life,

It’s easy to feel that laughter is a betrayal to grief and suffering.

But laughter, I think, is a gift from God,

Used to heal broken souls and connect us to something bigger than ourselves.

 

So what is something that has made you laugh, or at least smile, recently?

 

Did you do something in your younger years that makes you chuckle?

 

Do you have a memory of a loved one that makes you smile?

 

Do you have students, children, or grandchildren who do the darndest things?

 

Please share your memories. I’d love to hear. I think we all need to hear.  

No comments:

Post a Comment