Monday, June 14, 2021

Interview with Gmama

 

Yesterday was my G-mama’s 99th birthday. As part of the day’s festivities, I interviewed her.

 

Though there was a lot she couldn’t remember—she’s 99 after all—there was a lot that she could.

 

Here is the transcript of part of the interview.

 

I hope you enjoy reading it as much as I enjoyed capturing these precious moments of time.    

 

----

 

What is your favorite color? The Red Family (Pink)

 

What activities did you do when you were young? Music, both popular and religious.

 

What is your favorite hymn? I like all of the hymns, but I especially like The Old Rugged Cross.

 

Did you take piano lessons? I took for one or two years. I don’t know which. I took in high school and I took some from somebody at home. But I don’t remember who or how much. It was hard to get a teacher because not enough people played the piano to give lessons. So that’s why I took in High School. When I went to Warrenton, I took when we had homeroom study.  I’d rather listen to it than play it, though.

 

When did you get married? September 6, 1942

 

Where did you get married? Harris Chapel Baptist Church in Essex. It’s Hollister now.

 

How long were you married? Almost 47 years.

 

What places did you live? I lived in Essex where I was born. And I lived in Buies Creek and I lived in Angier and Raleigh and I lived in Morrow Bay in California and I lived in Savannah and Jacksonville.

 

What is your favorite wedding memory? My favorite wedding memory was Sandra throwing her bouquet when she came out the church door. I don’t know why I remember that, but I do. And I remember Sandra and Danny trying to get in a car with newspaper stuffed in it. 

 

What was your favorite decade? My favorite years were in Savannah when the girls were growing up and we got the TV. [That was the 50s.]

 

If you could have anything in the world to eat right now, then what would you eat? Onion rings. [Notice that she’s eating an onion ring in this picture 😊].

 

Do you remember the first thing you ever made in the microwave? No. But I went to school to learn to use the microwave. There was a store where they sold microwaves and you went and they taught you how to cook. I don’t remember what we cooked. I just remember going to the class.

 

What is something that your mom used to cook that you didn’t like? I don’t remember anything that I didn’t like. But what I liked the most was fried chicken. And she made a good 7-layer chocolate cake once a year.

 

What is the best dream you’ve ever had? I dreamed I went to heaven and there were all kinds of people waiting for me and cheering for me and my sister Margaret Lee looked at me and said, “What took you so long?” That was the best dream! I didn’t want to wake up.

 

What is the biggest change you’ve seen in your 99 years? Computers and all that electrical stuff. Like being able to talk to people. Talking pictures and words. It’s amazing.

 

What advice do you have for young people today? The golden rule will always be the best. Do unto others as you would have others do unto you. And trust in the Lord with all your heart and all your soul and all your mind and all your strength.

No comments:

Post a Comment