Monday, June 7, 2021

Difficult Parent Says Thanks

 

In October, I wrote:

 

“We have a difficult parent in the car rider line. She's been rude to a few of us a few different times and she's unsafely tried to go around traffic when she hasn't wanted to wait to leave.”

 

I went on to write about extending grace to people and being kind--even when it's hard.

 

And that’s exactly what I did with this parent all year. Every time I saw her, I smiled and waved. I spoke to her kids, I wished her well, and I said a silent prayer for her. On several occasions, we had long-ish conversations, and I actually came to appreciate her smile. 

 

Near the end of the year, this parent handed me a card. I thanked her, put the card in my pocket, and went about my afternoon car-rider duty. I figured she was giving everyone an end-of-year gift and didn’t think anything else of the card until I got back to my room.

 

When I opened the card, I cried.

 

“Ms. Deaton, You were the first person to greet my sons by name when they started at Greenwood. You probably didn’t realize [it] but that meant a lot to me and told me that my kids were at the right school. Thank you. And thanks for being there every day with a smile and wave. You’re appreciated.”

 

Wow.

 

Even now, as I write this, I have tears in my eyes.

 

I was the only person to receive a gift that day.

 

I often wonder if the work that I do makes a difference, and then bam! Out of the blue! A difficult parent lovingly slaps me in the face with a reality check that, yes, what I do, indeed, makes a difference.

 

Friends: It’s easy to get overwhelmed by all of the things that we cannot do or control. The problems of this world are so big and we are so small, and yet it really is in small acts of kindness that pieces of the foundation for change are laid.

 

So learn people’s names. Speak to them when you see them. Smile. Wave. Make eye contact and really see the people you see. Hold the door. Let someone in traffic. Visit a friend who is in town for the week. Send a text. Write a letter. Mail a card. Say thank you. Have a deep conversation. Wish someone well. Say a prayer. Be a safe place. Be an advocate. Be an ally. Hold out light, love, peace, hope, and everything good.

 

Oh God: Help us always to hold out light, love, peace, hope, and everything good.

 

Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment