Thursday, October 29, 2020

On Fixing My Hem Line

On Saturday, I had the privilege of playing my guitar at a wedding. The bride wanted to surprise her groom with a special song during the ceremony, so she asked me to accompany the man who would be singing. The song we performed was the song to which the bride walked down the aisle. The groom had no idea that she wasn’t going to enter to “Here Comes The Bride.” It was a really neat surprise. But back up a few hours, though, and you will find me at home with a wardrobe malfunction. The hem had fallen out of one leg of my black dress pants. I debated leaving it as it was, figuring that no one would be paying attention to the hem of my pants. After all, I had on a black shirt, black pants, black socks, and black shoes—was the hem line even that noticeable? In the end, I decided to ask my mom if she had any stick pins. I figured I could pin the hem as a temporary fix. Here’s where my mom stepped in and did what moms tend to do. Not finding any stick pins or safety pins, she went into her closet and pulled out her sewing kit. The next thing I knew, she was telling me to sit down on the couch and put my foot on her knee. She then proceeded to stitch a “quick fix” hem line into my pants. Suddenly, I felt and looked as good as new. I felt really honored to have been asked to be part of my friend’s wedding for such a special surprise. But I felt equally as honored to have walked into the wedding looking my best because of my mom’s simple gift. Love is demonstrated to us in many different ways--big and small--surprise songs and emergency hems. When is the last time someone demonstrated his/her love to you through a simple act of service or an invaluable gift? Take a moment to answer that question now...and be grateful. I know I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment