Monday, October 12, 2020

Always Expecting Something

Yesterday, my mom and dad returned home from a five-day beach get-away. While gone, they were able to see the beauty of God’s creation, celebrate long-time friendships, and enjoy the company of my sister’s family. Almost as soon as he walked in the door, though, my dad was ready to leave again to go to the post office. He needed to check the mail. It didn’t matter that he had a stack of mail from the street box already waiting. He almost always does this. It’s as if someone is going to take the mail out of the box if he doesn’t remove it immediately. I finally said to him, “Are you expecting something or something?” Without missing a beat, he said, “Yes. I’m always expecting something. I just don’t know what it is.” He’s always expecting something. He just doesn’t know what it is. What a way to live life! Always expecting to find something good, Always looking out for it as if it has arrived, Always hoping for its existence, Whether it’s there or not. He knows that the PO Box is full of mostly junk. He knows that the non-junk is usually bills. And still he hopes. Still he waits. For that one card, That one check, That one piece of something good. I went to check the mail for my dad. It was mostly bills and flyers. But sure enough, there was one card. And he got it. And then he started hoping for the good of tomorrow. Let’s keep hoping, friends. There is good to come. Better yet. Let’s be that good for one another…

No comments:

Post a Comment