Thursday, February 1, 2024

10 and 60

 

 

Last Saturday was one of my friends’ kids’ birthdays.

He turned 10.

Throughout the day, in honor of his birthday,

He asked for simple wishes:

Can I wear sweatpants instead of jeans?

Can I play an internet game in the car?

Can I have a Snickers bar?

His wishes were granted.

 

As he and his big brother were preparing for bed,

Big brother, suddenly wanted a cheese stick.

My friend was hesitant because of Big Brother’s habit of doing this.

But then Birthday Boy said:

Can I have one more wish for my birthday?

My friend asked what it was.

Birthday Boy asked if his brother could have a cheese stick to close out the day.

 

Needless to say, Big Brother got a cheese stick,

And Birthday Boy went to bed happy.

 

Today is my parents’ 60th Anniversary.

I dare say that this birthday story explains how they’ve stayed together so long:

It’s give and take,

It’s push and pull,

It’s asking and receiving,

It’s looking after self and others,

It’s celebrating small victories,

It’s smiling,

It’s changing ones’ mind,

And it’s honoring one another.

 

Today, I am thankful for my 10-year-old friend and all that he teaches me.

And I am thankful for my 60-year-married parents and everything that they are.

 

Amen.

 

PS. My mom and I often quote our 10-year-old friend when doing puzzles. He was over at the house many months ago, working on a puzzle, when he said to me: “Do you know how I found that piece?” I said, “How?” He said, “I saw this tiny little detail.” From that point forward, my mom and I began using “the tiny little detail” philosophy to help us with our puzzles 😊.  

No comments:

Post a Comment