Thursday, February 15, 2024

The Hand Jive

 

Sometimes, when I stand in front of a class,

And they’re a cacophonous, wandering mess,

I wonder what in the world I’m doing.

It’s like I’m not even there for a few moments,

And they’re in their own world.

 

But sometimes, when I stand in front of a class,

And they’re all looking at me, listening,

I still wonder in the world I’m doing.

It’s like they’re all present for a few moments,

And I’m the center of their world.

 

It’s weird.

Knowing that I’m molding the minds of little people

While involving their bodies and voices in learning.

It’s weird.

Realizing the power I have to make or break a kids’ day,

With a word, a smile, a song.

 

Last week, as I was teaching the hand jive to my 2nd and 3rd grade students,

And they were all looking at me with wide eyes and wonder,

Imitating my motions,

Completely focused, totally engaged,

I felt this strange sensation of making a difference--

Not that the hand jive itself makes that much of a difference,

But being part of the educational process does:

Seeing what it looks like when a kid is a kid,

Baggage unclaimed,

Trauma left behind,

Attention seeking behavior quieted,

Mind open,

Heart pounding,

Soul at ease.

 

For those few moments,

I was able to provide my students with a momentary escape into happiness

And maybe even a lifelong memory that they will pull up when they can remember nothing else.

How many songs from childhood do you remember?

Commercial jingles? Nursery rhymes? Hand games? Hymns?

 

Music is a powerful thing.

It lives in the body and it stirs the soul.

 

Yet sometimes when I stand in front of a class,

And they’re a cacophonous, wandering mess,

I wonder what in the world I’m doing.

But then I remember:

I am changing a kids’ world.

One hand jive at a time.

 

Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment