Monday, December 5, 2022

That Sinking Feeling

 Have you ever gotten a message that said,

“We need to talk,” or

“I need to tell you something,”

“Emergency staff meeting. I have some information I need to share.”

If you have, then you probably know the sinking feeling that accompanies the words.

“Oh, no. What’s wrong?” you think,

And then your mind takes over and you chase rabbits down rabbit holes,

Trying to figure out everything that could possibly be bad.

 

In yesterday’s Gospel reading,

Mary got one of those messages.

In much more sophisticated language,

Gabriel told Mary that they needed to talk.

 

“Greetings, you who are highly favored!

The Lord is with you.”

 

Yet “Mary was greatly troubled at his words

And wondered what kind of greeting this might be.”

 

“Oh no,” she must have thought.

“An angel is speaking to me. What’s wrong?

What did I do? This can’t be good.”

 

In typical angel response,

Gabriel says, “Do not be afraid.”

Then he goes on to explain that Mary will have a son and name him Jesus.

He will be the Son of the Most High.

 

“Ummm…” Mary must have thought.
“I’m a virgin. I can’t be a mother. Shoot. I’m not ready to be a mother! I’m still really young, and I care a lot about what people think of me. People are going to gossip and shun and turn me away. No one is going to believe that I haven’t already slept with Joseph. And I haven’t. This isn’t going to go well. Are you sure, Gabriel? Because I AM afraid.”

 

Gabriel was sure.

And he explained to Mary all that would come to pass.

And somehow, even in the midst of her fear,

Even with that sinking feeling in her stomach,

Mary found the courage to accept God’s movement in her life.

 

Courage isn’t the absence of fear.

Courage is having the strength to face your fears,

Even when it’s hard.

God: Grant us courage. Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment