Monday, May 9, 2022

Psalm 23

 As I was preparing for yesterday’s sermon on Psalm 23, one of the commentary writers suggested that I read Psalm 23 in the negative. “The Lord is not my shepherd” was the example that the writer gave, and then he/she left the rest of the Psalm to imagination.

 

I did as the writer suggested but only made it through the first couple of lines before tears formed in my eyes. I felt so sad and empty. I realized, for the first time, just how comforting Psalm 23 was, and I found myself extremely grateful.

 

The next day, I was not able to get the exercise off my mind. After tearing up just talking about it, I decided to write it out:

 

The Lord is my distant manager; I am in want.

He allows me lie down on rocky land; He sees as I walk toward dangerous waters. 

He doesn’t care that I am exhausted; or how much I wander on winding paths under his watch.

I walk through the lowest and scariest points of my life in fear, for I am abandoned. You are not with me and do not protect or comfort me. 

You do not celebrate with me. My enemies surround and attack me. They rejoice in my misfortune. You leave my wounds to fester. I am in such need.

Certainly, hardship and judgment will chase me all my days; and I will be alone forever.

 

I don’t know about you, but I’m glad that this view of God is not the view that I cling to. I’m glad that Jesus refers to himself as the Good Shepherd, and I’m glad to know that I am one of his sheep.

 

True. Sheep aren’t the smartest animals in the world. They have no sense of direction. They’re relatively defenseless. They can’t get themselves up when knocked on their backs. They can’t care for themselves when wounded. They often don’t know what’s good for them. So being a sheep doesn’t sound like something to strive for!

 

And yet. Sheep trust their shepherd to take care of them. They don’t try to go at life alone. They trust in Someone Bigger than themselves. And they are led, protected, and cared for.

 

There’s a camp song that says, “I just wanna be a sheep, baaaa, baaaa. I just wanna be a sheep, baaaa, baaaa. Cause Jesus loves the sheep. I just wanna be a sheep, baaaaa, baaaa.”

 

May we sing that song today, knowing that:

 

The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want.

He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters.

He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake.

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art

with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.

Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over.

Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever.

 

Amen.   

No comments:

Post a Comment