Monday, January 3, 2022

Someone With Skin

 

In her sermon yesterday, my pastor told of a little girl who was very afraid of a thunderstorm. After going to her mother for comfort three times, each time her mother telling her not to be afraid because God would take care of her, the little girl said, “Yes. But sometimes I just need someone with skin.”

 

 

After yesterday’s service, I stopped for lunch. As I drove into the restaurant parking lot, I noticed two things: a car sitting in a weird spot and a woman begging. I quickly passed judgment on the situation and determined that the car was waiting for the woman—that the person inside the car was a handler of sorts and that the woman was just playing the system.

 

I was very wrong. [God forgive my rash judgment.]

 

The car had broken down and inside was an elderly African American couple. They were waiting for someone to come jump the car.

 

When he got there, that someone began the process of opening car hoods and attaching jumper cables. There was one problem, though: The car hoods wouldn’t stay up. The man’s task was impossible because neither member of the elderly couple could stand long enough to help.

 

Then came someone with skin.

 

Two Hispanic teenagers emerged from the restaurant and walked purposefully over to the broken-down car. Each boy held open a hood while the man jumped the car.

 

Thinking that the problem had been solved, the boys went back into the restaurant. A few minutes later, when the car still hadn’t moved, the boys went back out and began to help again—this time tinkering with something in the engine.

 

When I drove away, the boys, the man, and the elderly couple were all still there.

 

Jesus was there, too, in two Hispanic boys with skin.

 

 

Simultaneously, I saw someone else roll down his window, talk to the woman beggar, give her a soda, and drive away. A few minutes later, a man came from the direction of the beggar, walked across the parking lot, went to a gas station, and emerged with a case of beer. After he returned, I didn’t see the woman again.

 

I wonder where Jesus was or where he will be in this story. Addicts need Jesus, too.

 

 

Oh God: Help us to be the “someone with skin” to the broken world around us. You were, you are, and you forever will be. Help us to be today. Amen.   

No comments:

Post a Comment