Monday, January 17, 2022

Joy

 Sometimes my dad monologues at the breakfast table. He starts talking and moves from subject to subject, oftentimes through tears.

 

Yesterday morning’s monologue started with an interview question for me: What brings you joy?

 

I gave my answer, and then he answered. He said, “What brings me joy is getting to live each day. I think that a lot of people don’t find joy in living, but I am so thankful for life.”

 

Then he continued talking, and thirty minutes later, he stopped.

 

I think that the question he began with is an interesting question: What brings you joy? It’s a good question to reflect upon in times where it is easy to be overwhelmed by the dementors. And so I ask YOU today: What brings you joy?

 

For me, joy comes from a variety of things: cultivating friendships, spending time with my family, taking naps, creating black-out poetry, listening to music, playing with Annie the Cat, writing these notes, discovering new thoughts in scripture, singing in the choir, going to church, using the Oxford comma, and more.

 

For example: During this week’s worship service, I discovered that Jesus himself experienced joy in many of the same ways as me. He went to a wedding to celebrate friends and spend time with family. When the wine stopped flowing and his mom was concerned that the celebration would end early, he chose to give his first sign—he chose to provide wine in abundance as  expected for celebration. Celebration brings joy, and Jesus wanted those around him to feel joy.

 

So I ask you again today: What brings you joy?

 

Oh God: You are a God of joy, and joy abounds. Help us to receive your joy today. Amen.  

No comments:

Post a Comment