Thursday, January 6, 2022

Epiphany

 

In the liturgical calendar of the universal church, today marks Epiphany. According to the dictionary, Epiphany is “the manifestation of Christ to the Gentiles as represented by the Magi.” It is also “a moment of sudden revelation or insight.” Today, on this Epiphany, I want to share an epiphany that I had many weeks ago in therapy.

 

I don’t know how to share this epiphany without just saying it: I have an image of Jesus that is Sulley from Monster’s, Inc.

 

I know. This sounds weird. But it’s true.

 

One night during therapy, I was doing an exercise where I was letting my mind wander into the different parts of myself. After my session, I wrote:

 

“Tonight, we engaged three parts of me. One is an overworking, hyper-vigilant, exhausted girl who tries to protect me from grief. One is a green monster who tries to shame and discipline me back into line. And one is a big furry creature, like Sulley, who morphed into Jesus, who represents care and compassion and love and peace…

 

For one brief moment, I was hugging the big furry creature, but he was too big for me to see all of him…Yet I saw myself hugging him, burying myself into his fur, and being hugged in return. This is when he turned into the representation of Jesus.”

 

Care.

Compassion.

Love.

Peace.

 

A big furry creature. Blue. Soft. Holding me. Just as Sulley held Boo…

 

I have a Jesus wall in my room. Various images of Jesus hang over my bed and surround me as I sleep. I’ve got Footprints Jesus, Laughing Jesus, Jesus in the womb, Jesus from my grandmother’s house, Jesus as interpreted by a friend, Jesus made from the faces of many.

 

Now I have Jesus as Sulley with Boo. Zoom in on the picture. He’s hanging brightly.

 

A strange epiphany, yes. But an epiphany nonetheless.

 

What epiphanies have you had lately?

 

Oh God: You are God of Jew and Gentile, man and woman, monster and saint, and everything in between. Help us each to find images of you in which we receive comfort, and grant us little epiphanies throughout the year, as you have come today and will continue to come each day for all eternity. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment