Thursday, November 4, 2021

Tired

I went to Waffle House for dinner with a friend last night.

What can I say?

I like the All-Star Special.

 

When the waitress came to take our order,

She said, “Can I sit down with ya’ll for a minute while you decide what you want?

I’m so tired.”

 

I said, “Has it been a long day?”

 

She said, “It’s been a long two weeks.

I’ve worked two weeks straight with no day off.

And last week was my birthday,

My mom actually came down from Maryland to surprise me.

My back was turned to the door when she walked in,

And when I saw her,

Everyone was wondering what in the world was going on.”

 

She went on to take our order,

And then tended to every table, the bar, and the check-out line in the Waffle House.

She and one cook were the only people working.

 

No wonder she was tired.

 

Tired seems to be a general state of being these days.

There are many reasons for this reality--

Many of which are that too many of us are overworked, underappreciated, and underpaid.

But I don’t want to focus on the root causes of tired today.

 

I simply want to acknowledge that people are, indeed, tired,

And to challenge each one of us,

Myself included,

To remember that fact when we look into the eyes of those we meet.

Maybe we need to connect our spirits with people when we, ourselves, are tired.

Maybe we need to extend grace, patience, and strength when we, thankfully, are filled with

energy beyond ourselves.

 

I also want to challenge us to do what our waitress unknowingly did when we are tired.

She took a little rest when she could.

She stated her truth. 

But then she went on to try to focus on something positive—

Her mother coming to visit for her birthday.

I have no idea why she told us this fact,

But she did,

And it encouraged me:

Try to find something light in the midst of darkness.

Try to find something to give fuel when the tank is running on empty.

 

Dear God, too many of us are running on empty. Too many of us are bone-weary tired. Give us the strength, endurance, and rest that comes only from you and help it to spill over into those we meet. Help us to show kindness. Help us to offer a smile. Help us to call workers by name. Help us to give freely when we have been served well. Help rules and policies that are sucking life from workers to change. Help us to do our part. And help us to all find work that is meaningful and life-giving even in the midst of tired. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment