Monday, September 14, 2020

Have A Great Day

At the beginning of August, one of my real-life friends from camp friended me on Facebook. Almost every day since we’ve reconnected, this friend has written to say, “Hope you have a great day.” I write her back and say, “You too.” Then she writes me back with a thumbs up. It’s only been six weeks, but it’s come to be a ritual that I look forward to each day. Here is this friend that I haven’t talked to in almost twenty years suddenly letting me know that she’s thinking of me and wishing me well! What’s more, she’s an assistant in the public schools who starts her days SUPER early and is very often overlooked and underappreciated for her work. It would be easy for her to go about her days and not write, yet she does. And I have a feeling I’m not the only person she writes. Friends: May we be a people of positive, encouraging structures and routines, And may we use our presence in each other’s lives to build up rather than destroy. I know I sound like a broken record, but I believe it so much: Words have power. Even simple words such as, “Hope you have a great day.” Thank you, Amanda, for inspiring me and making a simple yet profound difference in my life. The world needs more people like you.

No comments:

Post a Comment