Monday, February 24, 2014

Worth Packing The Pew

Yesterday at church, we celebrated Ms. Hortense’s 90th Birthday. Ms. Hortense is a faithful member of Antioch and helps make Antioch the loving church that it is today. Ms. Hortense always greets people with a huge hug and smile and in so doing brings a smile to many faces.

Evidently, Ms. Hortense has deemed the song “Lord Don’t Move That Mountain” as “her” song, so during the 10:50 service the talented Marie Allen sang the song as part of worship.

I couldn’t see Ms. Hortense while Marie was singing, but my friend Danielle could. Danielle’s family has recently started attended church and they have chosen their pew midway back on the right. They sit with my friend Kelli whose family has also started attending…and my friend Laura who started the whole trend. They all sit on the same pew. At least 11 people. It’s a packed pew. But I digress.

Danielle’s commentary on the event was this:

Like total saps, when Marie sang, Ms. Hortense’s friend rubbed her back. The site of her friend’s old arthritic fingers rubbing her back struck Mike and I and we both started to cry.
The whole row of ladies could likely teach the world a thing or two.


I responded:

That’s a beautiful image—the old ladies’ hands…I started to cry at the end of the service when she was standing up front with Patrick.

Seeing a 90-year-old woman of faith, who indeed could teach us a thing or two, stand arm in arm with a pastor one third her age, whom she is allowing to teach her, was quite touching. Hearing her declare, “The Lord has guided me so far and I trust he will continue to guide me in the future,” and hearing him pray a special prayer of blessing over Ms. Hortense’s life brought tears to my eyes…which isn’t good when you’re standing in front of the entire congregation.

Arthritic hands rubbing hunched backs.
The young and old standing arm and arm.
A community of faith celebrating 90 years of life.
For all that the church is not,
For the many things we do wrong,
This is what the church is,
This is what the church does right.
And it’s beautiful.
And it’s good.
And it’s that which is worth packing the pew.

No comments:

Post a Comment