Monday, February 10, 2014

Where I Am Now

I had dinner with a dear friend tonight. He was in my youth group when I was a youth minister many years ago. As we talked and shared life stories, I began to reflect on where life has taken me in the past seven years and where I am now. Here is my report:

June 2007: Pack up my music classrooms at Gentry and Erwin and say goodbye to 8 years of teaching.

August 2007: Begin full-time classes in divinity school.

Fall 2007: Begin working with the choir at Antioch Baptist Church to prepare their Christmas cantata.

January 2008: Begin working with the entire music ministry at Antioch for my supervised ministry class.

May 2008: Finish my supervised ministry class.

June 2008: Begin work as worship leader at camp.

August 2008: Return to classes in divinity school and officially accept the position as interim music minister at Antioch.

May 2009: Graduate from divinity school.

October 2009: Leave everything in NC and begin working with SC WMU in Columbia.

August 2012: Work at the peak of my career with SC WMU.

September 2012: Abruptly leave from SC WMU to return to NC for ……..???

January 2013: Begin chaplaincy internship at Wake Med in Raleigh.

May 2013: Graduate from chaplaincy residency and ……….???

August 2013: Interview for and accept the music teacher position at Johnsonville Elementary School.

February 2014: Agree to return to the interim music ministry position at Antioch until ………???


And now my reflection:
I don’t know how I am successfully going to enter into this new, old venture.
Teaching full-time and working as part-time music minister adds up to more than one.
But what I know is this--
I haven’t known a lot of things over the past few years, but I’ve made it through.
One step at a time, sometimes backwards,
I have made it to where I am today and
I will make it to where I am tomorrow and in all the days to come.
Christ beside me,
Christ before me,
Christ behind me,
Christ within me.
Christ around you, too.
Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment