Monday, February 17, 2014

Bubbly Wisdom

As I scrolled through my Facebook feed last night, I noticed the following post:

I was running water for C's bubble bath. I used all the bubbles. She was upset. I said, “On payday I will buy you some more.” She said, “Ugh...those people need to give you more money. You work all the time and never have enough money.” I said, “What people?” First she said the principal. I told her that the principal doesn't give me money but that the governor does. She said, “He needs to quit wasting money on stuff he doesn't need and give it to all the teachers.” Amazing how a 5-year-old makes such a complicated matter seem so simple. C's theory: "The more work you do, the money you should make."

Being as tired as I was when I read this post, what stuck out to me was not the deep Kindergarten wisdom—which is there and that I will leave you ponder on your own—but the fact that C was out of bubble bath.

Believe it or not, I’ve had bubble bath in my car since Christmas. [Yes. I need to clean out my car.] So when I saw C in the hallway this morning, I said, “Hey! I have something for you.” A few minutes later, I was walking to my car with C, her sister, and two other kids. When we got to my car and I retrieved the box, C said, “What does it say?” Her sister said, “Bubble bath.”

C’s eyes lit up and she said, “I ran out of bubbles last night.”

Almost immediately, the conversation shifted to other things and we all began walking back to the building. As C carried her new treasure, I said, “Do you know what that is?” She said, “No.” I said, “It’s bubble bath.”

C’s eyes lit up again and she said, in amazement, “I ran out of bubbles last night.”

I said, “You did?! Well now you’re not out anymore, so you can take another bubble bath.”

Then the children went to their classrooms and I went to duty and I didn’t think about the bubble bath again until this afternoon…

At which point I smiled as I thought about C’s posture of wonder that bubbles had magically appeared the day after hers ran out.

No comments:

Post a Comment