Tuesday, October 30, 2012

What Do You Want Me To Do For You?

What do you want me to do for you?” Jesus asked him.

The blind man said, “Rabbi, I want to see.”

“Go,” said Jesus, “your faith has healed you.” Immediately he received his sight and followed Jesus along the road.


The pastor at the church I attended yesterday asked the question: “If Jesus were to ask you, ‘What do you want me to do for you?’ what would you say?”

Immediately, without a moment’s hesitation, I thought, “Hug me.”

As the pastor continued with his sermon, complete with thoughts that included,

It's never too late to be what you might have been...
Pay attention. Let us do something beautiful for God...
Let us love with a love that heals and restores and makes whole…

I felt tears forming in my eyes. God often speaks to me through tears.

And when he asked again, “If Jesus were to ask you, ‘What do you want me to do for you?’ what would you say?” Without thinking, I thought, “Hug me. I want you to hug me.”

And so it is.

I recently read a book that hypothesizes that our relationship with God is influenced by our primary love languages (which, for me, is words of affirmation and physical touch)…and considering that I am drawn to worship that is heavy in deep, rich words and liturgy, that God often speaks to me through tears, and that out of everything I could ask Jesus to do for me, a hug is my overwhelming answer…I believe that this hypothesis is true.

What about you? If Jesus were to ask you what he could do for you, then what would you answer? And does your answer fall in line with your love language? Please share.

No comments:

Post a Comment