Monday, October 8, 2012

Power In A Name

I took a car load of stuff to Goodwill last Wednesday.

As I drove up to the drop off site, I was greeted by a weary Goodwill worker. She rolled out a large cart into which we loaded my stuff. I talked to her about what I was donating but she didn’t really make an effort to respond.

When we finished unloading the car, I said, smiling, “Have a good weekend…What’s your name anyway?”

She said her name but I didn’t understand her. “Vanessa?” I said.

She said her name again but I still didn’t understand her. “Tressa?” I said.

She said her name one more time and I finally got it. “Cresa! How do you spell that.”

“C-r-e-s-a. It’s short for Lacresa but it’s easier to just go by Cresa,” she said.

“Well, have a good weekend, Cresa,” I said.

Smiling, with a complete change of body language and attitude, she said, “You too. What’s your name?”

I told her my name and that I’d try to have a good weekend, that I’d be moving to NC and that it’d be busy. We talked a bit about where I was moving and what I’d be doing and the conversation was nice…but only after I’d asked Cresa her name.

There is power in a name.

There is power in looking someone in the eyes and asking her name.

There is power in looking someone in the eyes, speaking her name, and seeing her.

Oh God…help me to see people…and love people…and call them by name…like you have called me by name. Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment